betrothal:
n 1: a mutual promise to marry [syn: troth, engagement] 2: the act of becoming betrothed or engaged [syn: espousal]
Today is that day for me. Actually, it's happening RIGHT NOW as I type up this blog. (11:52AM of May 21st) Now, why am I doing something so trivial on such a special day for me.. you ask? Well, traditional the groom is NOT to be involved with the actual betrothal event at all. Only the preparations. And boy, were there preparations!!!

This event is called "gaw dai lai". That's betrothal in chinese. The main elements of this crazy scavenger hunt was the roasted pig(WHOLE!) and the bridal cakes.
There were:
- entire roasted pig on customary platter
- bridal cakes in customary boxes
- 60 in total
- 4 are which must be dragon/pheonix cakes
- pairs of male and female poultry
- 2 old coconuts (these symbolizes something..I forget what. NOTHING phallic, I don't think!)
- 2 bottles of wine (XO)
- 2 boxes of tea
- 2 boxes of seafood each: ($$$!!!)
- shark fin
- abalone
- other wallet draining items
- all kinds of weird nuts and herbs which had to be of certain requirements (age, with or without the seed, etc)
- And of course... CASH!

And of course every item had some sort of meaning and symbolism. Of which I have no idea what they are... through thousands of years of traditions being passed down, I personally think some of this stuff has lost a bit of translation. I bet somewhere down the centuries, there was a comedian that "made up" a tradition or two of his own. (old coconuts?!? now come on!) And just passed it on to his heirs. He's laughing it up right now I bet!!
Since I'm not allowed to see the bride all day today, it is customary for me to send all this stuff with a family friend of ours. An older generation that is respected must carry this stuff for me. REPRESENT!
I wouldn't be able get all of this stuff without the help of my grandparents and uncles!!! PROPS to em!!!! w00t w00t! 8D
Well, Lina is having a big party right now with all my stuff. Hope they're enjoying it.
Babee, if you're reading this and showing this blog to your family right now... don't forget the rest of the tradition... save some of the good stuff for me!!!! I'm hungry.
You can find more pictures here.
why did this actually happen after the wedding?? betrothal is the promise to get married, but you already are!
ReplyDeletewhere are you going for honeymoom?
old coconut...stubborness? hard headedness?? hehehe
will you do this for your kids?
haven't you noticed? We do everything backwards! The honeymoon was in HongKong! And we went there in March. I'll be asking Lina's mom and dad for permission to marry after the banquets! hehe -jk-
ReplyDeleteI'm sure we'll do this for our kids too. I'll be a simplified version though.
do you guys have enough time to spend here after the 26? if so, how many days?
ReplyDeleteDunno... still working that out. Say, does Auntie Julie have room for Lina's family? I think there's gonna be maybe 5 people?
ReplyDeleteSarah, you girls should have a bachorette party! like I said... backwards.. hehe.
ReplyDeleteIs that permission and encouragement to hire a stripper for a party?
ReplyDeletehow about a nice dinner and a rated PG movie? jk. I don't care what you girls do.
ReplyDeleteYou heard my husband...Sarah, go get us some good looking chip'n dales =) ! Make sure the one that stays over night!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha... I'm on it. ;)
ReplyDeletecount me in! count me in! i'm the maid of honorrrrrrrrrr!!!
ReplyDeletesarah sounds like fun....say you and i plan something... =0D
ReplyDelete*evil laugh
5 people, including you or not, gaw?
uh.. no. Don't count me in.
ReplyDeleteAnd mui, Lina has to talk to you two about who's doing what still. We're still not sure who's gonna be the MoH and who'll be the MC.
Lina thinks you two are of equal standing... hard to decide.