
So, I had a thought.
I hear this all the time in movies: A parental figure tells their son/daughter not to worry when they die, they will be watching down on him/her from the stars above.
Sure it's cheesy, I know.. but the thought... "what if it's true?" came to mind. Then the more I think about it.. the possibility gets better.
Ok, walk with me on this...
Our planet has been known by a couple of "names": Mother Earth or Gaea/Gaia, A concept that brings us to believe that the planet is alive and maybe at some level, even sentient. I can see that... there are the trees everywhere and billions of organisms that thrive successfully on it. On a level, not much different than the hair on my head and the germs that live on my skin. See the analogy there? Well anyways, Gaia is a theory created by a scientist named James Lovelock, who worked at NASA doing space stuff. (Well... details of the man isn't important, it's his theory that gets my attention) His theory claims that our Earth, "Gaia", is sentient enough to have a global system that can balance itself. The surface temperature, composition of the atmosphere, and the ocean's salinity. Despite the Sun's increase in energy throughout time, all three variables has remained constant. That's Gaia self-preserving. That's life!
(This concept is in entertainment very frequently: Final Fantasy games and movie, Horton Hears a Who movie, South Park episode: Lice Capades, and even in the new movie, Avatar)
So here's MY thought on this.. what if Gaia is actually a soul? A soul that's inhabiting a form that is a big giant space rock. Why not, right? "Souls" seem to able to inhabit many forms. We see it on many creatures that live on Earth. So why not a planet? Does size matter? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. And to extend this thought... what if ALL the stars we see out there are also Gaias?!? Suns and planets that have souls! I figure once someone on Earth dies, their soul would leave out to space and inhabit a star. When a star is born, that's the moment the soul enters. Then there it can thrive "forever"...or until an asteroid hits it.
So,why not?
Maybe Mufasa really was looking down on Simba. (But not Obi-wan... he was just a cheap 70s hologram)
I believe some parts of it. And it seems quite fantastical. A Disney movie almost! But I thought you didn't believe in souls.
ReplyDeleteI've never said I didn't believe in souls. I always had. But, I simply question WHERE it goes after we die. It's a religious/philosophical/metaphysical/whatever question that us simple-minded humans just can't prove yet.
ReplyDeleteSo, I ask. Not really expecting an answer that I can accept as "truth". But, more of a... reply... or a debate.